Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In Lieu of a Chapter of My Book

I thought today was going to belong to me. The kids are back to school today after Snowmageddon Round 1. They'll be off tomorrow (and possibly Thursday and Friday) for Round 2. This morning I thought I was going to make some giant chocolate chip cookies and then write, write, write.

Instead, I forfeited my shower time for a trip to Wal-Mart to grab a few things for work and for Valentine's Day and a for meal I was asked to take to a friend who just gave birth. I need to make and deliver the meal before Snowmageddon Round 2 begins this afternoon.

Whenever I get asked to take a meal to someone I panic. I am not one of those people who has a standard recipe that I throw together at a moment's notice. It's like I have to consult the stars. I have to feel the right thing to make. Usually, I come up with an idea and I run it by Ryan who frowns and says, "I'm not sure other people like that as much as you do."

Thanks, honey.

Today the stars told me to make a platter of grilled burritos. They are easy to eat, reheat, and can be used as dog food if Ryan turns out to be right. I mean, really, is there a more versatile meal than that?

I've already made the giant chocolate chip cookies, which will be delivered with the burritos and a jar of salsa. At first I was sad at the thought of giving them up, but it's probably better that I don't keep them. I have unrighteous desires regarding them. I say I only want a tiny piece of one, but you know as well as I do that that statement would not pass any polygraph test. If you love something, give it away.

The beans are simmering on the stove. I've got the Food Network on, as I usually do while I cook. I hypothesize that I will become a better cook through osmosis by having it on; when I'm stirring and saute-ing and kneading, I will be subconsciously tutored by Paula Deen and Bobby Flay. I can't say I've got any proof to support this, but I'm sticking with my theory anyway. It can't hurt and my mom does it too, so I feel validated.

It's time to zhuzh the beans and mix them with the meat. I'll let them get to know each other while I shower and when I finish getting ready, I will wrap them in tortillas with some cheese and grill them the way my mom grilled them for me.

Today was supposed to belong to me, but it didn't. Tomorrow won't belong to me either. Tomorrow I will belong to my kids and the snow shovel and the sticky kitchen counters. It's okay, though. Writing feels good, but it feeds only me. Today I get to feed someone else. Or at least their dog.

Remember! Tomorrow is the deadline for Winter Angst Poetry. The competition is coming along nicely, so add your voice to the depressed, frigid chorus!

16 comments:

summer said...

thank you for giving me this awesome moment of entertainment, tiffany. you are hilarious! and i panic on the meal-bringing front, too. why must i always be that way? anyway, your grilled burritos sound yummy. and way to go on giving up the cookies. you should so save one for yourself.

Andria said...

Unrighteous desires! That's hilarious; I'm totally goint to use that sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Alyssa said...

Snowmageddon Round 1 skipped us - the ground was bone dry Saturday morning. But Snowmageddon Round 2 is predicted to bring as much as 12-18 inches and I'm crossing my fingers it happens because my office might close. And that means I get to attend my meetings via phone in my pajamas from home rather than sitting in a conference room at work. That sounds like a great way to spend Wednesday to me.

katie said...

We just have grossairmageddon.

Anytime Lou Atkinson was asked to feed the missionaries she'd go over to Morelia, order a bunch of food, bring it home and platter it all up so the missionaries thought it was her that made the meal. Lou...an authentic mexican herself.

Miranda said...

I'm intrigued by the grilled part of the burritos. I care a great deal for grilling. How did your mom do it?...and by that I mean, how do you do it?

Christy said...

You are so funny!

I can totally relate. I panic too at the thought of taking in a meal. I am not good at dinners only baked goods & sweet things. I am an expert at sugar! Why can't people just be happy with peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies for dinner? Well ok, I guess I could throw in some milk. I'm good at milk too.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

The whole meal taking thing stresses me out. I always feel as if I need to do a 5 course meal, when we never eat like that at home. It sort of torks me off. I'm sure they loved what you brought. I know I would.

Jesse C said...

I'm hungry.

Mia said...

I will take grilled burritos from you ANY day! I have unrighteous desires about burritos too.

Travelin'Oma said...

My book keeps getting set aside for something, too. But today I was making up tasks just to set it aside. I WANT to do it, but it's like jumping off the high dive. I keep climbing up, looking over, and climbing back down. And tomorrow it looks like I have to make chocolate chip cookies.

Ginnie said...

I have a standard meal I take to the sick and other wise afflicted. It's called pizza hut... ok, not really. It's roast and potatoes. Yum!

Ginnie said...

Ahem, I mean otherwise. Have I mentioned before I have a slight spelling disorder? I think I have.

Angie said...

I've been thinking of you and all of the snow because I know that you don't like it! I hope you're all dealing well enough.

Grilled burritos are a good idea! I remember the first time you posted about them I went home and made some. Yum. I have you to thank for that and for Billy Collins. You've changed my life.

tiburon said...

I love it when you zhuzh!

Unknown said...

OH TIFFANY.

i've been absent from blogland for the past little while but i've missed you and your ever-hilarious posts.

you rock, dude.

... can i have a chocolate chip cookie?

Omgirl said...

So, these grilled burritos....please to share the recipe???

Related Posts with Thumbnails