Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Say Goodbye to Hollywood


When it's not being used to prepare bean burritos and cubed watermelon, my kitchen can serve as a recording studio.

Jesse and I recorded a cover of a Billy Joel song one morning during his stay.  Jesse did all the work--instruments, arrangement, and mixing.  He is amazingly talented.  I want his voice.  And if I can't have his voice, I'll take his metabolism.  (Please!)  

It was a no-brainer to pick a Billy Joel song because Mr. Joel's music was the soundtrack of our childhoods, the common denominator in our big family's musical taste.  To this day, a Billy Joel song can evoke vivid memories for me: the blue shag carpet in our living room, my brother Justin playing a towel like a saxophone, the sway and bob of our little houseboat on Lake Powell, the sound of a vacuum and the smell of Comet on a Saturday morning.  And now it will include another vivid memory: my little brother and me in my kitchen on an overcast spring morning.

You can listen to our little gem by clicking here.

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Very, very good, and very, very cool!

Dede said...

I love it! You guys should go on tour. I bet James would be your back up dancer.

Alyssa said...

that is fantastic! I had no idea I was in the presence of such hidden talent on Saturday. Had I known I would have made a few requests on the ferry ride.

Mateo said...

That is YOUR voice in the background??? Never knew you could sing. You sound great!

rychelle said...

awesome! you really are a rock star.

Becky said...

You continue to amaze me! That was beautiful! You and your siblings are just dripping with talent!

Kellybee said...

WOW. I'm impressed. Why have you guys not tried out for American Idol? I would buy that song...

Mia said...

Wow, you two are great together. I love that you just recorded a song one morning in your kitchen.

michele said...

beautiful

James said...

Billy, Jesse, and Tiff all are awesome and sound awesome. I really liked this cover.

Christy said...

Oh my gosh, its so beautiful! I have to listen to it again! Your brother should come more often. You should record another song together. You must make a video next time. Ryan can film. Oncore!

Angie said...

So cool! I loved that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails