Monday, June 15, 2009

Bed & Breakfast

Once again, the neon No Vacancy sign was lit again at our makeshift B&B.  John and Janet (or, Jan and Johnet, as we like to say) arrived at our place for the second half of their tour of eastern states and places.

Unfortunately, our real life interfered with their visit a little more than I would have liked, but we made the most of the time we had together.  When life hands you lemons, make German Pancakes.  That's what I always say.

Thursday's rain made our plan to vegetate poolside impossible, so we made our way to our favorite orchard to see the farm animals instead.

We hung out with the goats,

puzzled over this up-close view of a turkey (it's like something out of Star Wars, no?),

and made up a new dance we call These Gnats Are Driving Me Crazy!


Building upon tradition, we exploited my brother for his home improvement skills.  He hung a big mirror that's been un-hung since we moved and also installed a ceiling fan in our screened porch.  I hope they never make up any laws making it illegal to use your house guests for labor!

After all the home-improving, the parents went out for a nice, relaxing Middle Eastern meal.  It was the bomb.  (And, no, that was not a distasteful Middle Eastern joke; I'm just really hip.)


Friday, they left us to tour Washington, DC.  We couldn't join them because of school and baseball obligations, but we were lucky to have Nate and Matt spend the day with us.

We spent some time at the pool before we attended Christian's Little League championship game.  That's right, after years and years of playing on losing teams, Christian finally got a chance to be on a winning team with a chance at the championship title.

And...

HE WON!  (Lemme hear you say WOOT!  WOOT!)

The team and coaches were very gracious and expressed gratitude to their fans, some of whom traveled across the country to see this amazing game.  (OK, they didn't, but they should have!)

Saturday, we headed out to Hershey Park, with a stop along the way at an Amish bakery stand.  I had a filled donut that changed my life.  Put simply, it was a religious experience.  (And no, that wasn't a lame Amish joke.)  I don't have a picture of the donut, because Amish donuts don't like to be photographed and I'm all about respect.

Hershey Park was a blast.  There were incredible rides and the obligatory shoe-stuffing ceremony for the not-quite-tall-enough patrons of the park.  Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.


In a strange and inexplicable act, I rode on a ride with all the boys that guaranteed getting wet.  No, not wet--soaked.  Drenched.  Waterlogged.  I never ride those kind of rides.  But I did.  I still can't explain it.

Finally, Sunday was a busy blur--church, packing, eating lunch, and sending them off for their drive up to JFK with what we thought was plenty of time.  Turns out, they were racing to reach the plane with only minutes to spare.  Whew!



Thanks to Jan and Johnet for a few wonderful days that we'll remember forever!

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

What a fun time! And that's so true about the Amish donut. I've had one. Really camera shy.

Alyssa said...

Congrats again to Christian and I really hope you told the goats hello from me. And that I miss them. Shoot, why did you have to tell me you visited the goats without me, now I'm daydreaming about the blasted goat farm.

Emily said...

What a great weekend! And yes, the turkey totally reminds me of Emperor Palpatine. I knew it looked familiar!

Lindy-Lou said...

For me, the highlight was the championship game and I wish like everything we could have been there to witness the win. Give Christian a big hug from us.

Thanks for sharing yet another great B&B experience. Our turn must be coming around again.

Kate said...

Sigh. That sounds amazing. How fun. :)

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christina said...

I love Hershey Park. I grew up 45 minutes away, and it's a huge part of my childhood (season passes every summer growing up). Seeing your East Coast adventures makes me nostalgic!

Kim said...

I so appreciate your respect for the Middle Eastern & Amish way of life.

Becky said...

Sounds like everyone had a great time! Congratulations Christian! That is so awesome! Your team couldn't have done it without you, I'm sure!

Jesse C said...

You guys really are the best hosts. Reading this made me really miss being out there. Congrats to Christian on the championship!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

What a fun weekend you all had. You look like you are surrounded by all big wet naked men on that ride. Congrats to little Christian on his game!

Mia said...

Congrats Christian! The turkey is a little creepy.

You Are My Fave said...

Oh, I just love the east. What a fun weekend.

I hear you about the water rides. I always get talked into riding them and then I'm wet and cold the rest of the day.

tiburon said...

Looks like you had a super fantastic time.

I have to come and visit you.
It is so perty there.

Angie said...

That thing that the goats are climbing on is awesome!

The turkey looks gross really.

Hooray for Christian!

When I saw everyone with their shirts off on that water ride I was curious, and a little shocked. Then I saw that you had your shirt on. Good girl.

John said...

It was an amazing trip. Thanks for being such gracious hosts and not mentioning that we nearly poisoned Lucy.

We will never forget our "epic" east coast trip.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOD! middle eastern joke! you really are hip, you know!

it looks like you had a great (and well documented.) weekend. what great shots!

Shua said...

Thanks so much. You guys are great hosts and my cheeks still hurt from laughing so much. It was an amazing trip.

Omgirl said...

You show everyone such a fantastic time when they come out. your posts always look amazingly fun. When can I come and stay???

Related Posts with Thumbnails