Monday, May 18, 2009

Nature Calls (No, Seriously!)

A week ago we took our first venture to the beach to see the ocean and enjoy a relaxing evening walk.

I wasn't expecting to fall in love.  (Isn't that what they always say--don't look for love and love will find you?)  But I fell hard, right into the soft sand.

DSCN3753
The beach was amazing.  And breezy.  And beautiful.  And peaceful.  And quaint.  And clean.  And I suddenly imagined myself sitting there for hours and hours, eating frozen custard and reading gossip magazines and averting my eyes from men in Speedos.  
We walked to the water and let the waves tag our feet, and instead of the familiar painful frozen shock that travels up the ankles and into the neck, the water was comfortably cool.  People had told us that the Atlantic was warmer than the Pacific, but I had to find out for myself that it was true.  

It's true.

When the sky was beginning to darken, we walked back to the car and drove home and talked about how much we true-love-always loved the beach until the garage door opened to swallow our car safely inside.

Then we all used the bathroom and checked our email and started talking about the beach again.  And again.  And again the next day.

It was like we could hear the beach calling to us.  

"Come back," it pleaded.  
"Hurry," it cried.  
"Go and buy a bunch of gear at Costco and return to me," it sang.

We heeded the call.

There's no school tomorrow because it's election day.  (Woot!  Woot!  No school!)  And since we've been dangerously obsessed with the beach since we left, we're all heading back tomorrow, our earliest opportunity.  

DSCN3773
DSCN3774

We're going to pack a cooler with trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils.  And diet drinks.  

We're going to carry towels and chairs and pails. 

We're going to build castles and declare war on each other. 

We're going to vow to abstain from the boardwalk shop that sells fries by the bucket, right up until the moment we buy two of them. 

And right before we bid farewell, we're going to run in slow motion along the water's edge like David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson. 

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This makes me long for the beach!

And I had no idea that the Atlantic was warmer than the Pacific. I wouldn't have thought so.

Alyssa said...

take me with you!!
and I've had countless people attempt to explain something-stream and tidal-blah-blah-blah as to why the water is warmer. I just say thank you and get surprised every summer by how easy it is to take a train (and a bus) to the beach from my apartment in Manhattan.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

Lady...you're killin me!

Leslie said...

You had me at "beach".

Artax said...

Sounds very nice. I would like to come, too.

rychelle said...

i can feel the sea breezes. :)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I can picture y'all running right now. :)

Unknown said...

If you want WARM ocean water, try the Gulf of Mexico. And a good place to try this is Port Aransas, TX. Well, we Texans might not let you Yankees in, so you should ask nicely first.

Christy said...

Wow, the picture you painted is amazing. I so wanna be you right now!

Mia said...

Take me with you!!! I promise not to eat more than my share of the fries.

Jesse C said...

I'm so excited to do some slow motion beach running in Delaware.

Angie said...

I do believe that you live in the best place in the country. I really mean that.

Omgirl said...

How far away is the beach from your house? Because right now I hate you. almost as much as I hate you for having that gorgeous white kitchen with the caramel colored granite. Have you noticed how rare white kitchens are in Utah? You just can't find them. But back east they are everywhere. WAH.

tiburon said...

That is IT! I am coming out there and you are taking me and your trans fats and your diet drinks to the beach!

Suzie said...

OH! You mean I have to actually click on your new address and also change Google reader.

Wake. Up. Mr. Brain.

Related Posts with Thumbnails